Thursday, February 15, 2007

My return home…

I have finally made it back home! Quebrada Honda home that is-- I was actually very excited get back. I missed everyone. It is the weirdest feeling to understand or explain in the whole entire world. This is just my temporary home and I live in a tool shed…how could I miss it? I am actually having a restroom built in my house right now so when I got back I was very frustrated to see gross dusty concrete remnants all over everything. I should be happy right? I am getting a bathroom but I was almost in tears because there is so much dirt and dust everywhere in my room I don’t know what to do with it. There was a layer of it on all of my stuff. You know when you have a really dusty shelf and you can wipe your finger across it and it leaves a line? Yeah that is what all of my stuff was covered in. My clean clothes and my nice clean sheets had wet concrete on them! Again, I should be happy right? I am getting a bathroom. Maybe it is because when have almost nothing…which is a lie too because I have a lot compared to many people here…you hold a tight grip on your stuff and when it is the only thing I can control and that changes oh the emotions! So, I spent the afternoon cleaning and now it is almost back to normal I will be glad when the construction workers get out of my house. One of them was smoking where he was working in my new bathroom. No smoking in my house!! HAHA! I crack myself up sometimes. The last couple of days I spent time in Cusmapa with a lot of the donors. When we were walking back from my friend Callie’s choir concert we saw a man just laying in the middle of the street. I think he was drunk. A couple of weeks ago in La Concha there was a drunk man laying on the floor during mass and a couple pews in front of him there was a young girl maybe 2 she peed right on the floor in the church during mass. Yeah-crazy!

I had such a wonderful day at the school today. I had no idea what I was going to do with the kids and went in with no planning and just guessing. It seemed to work out well. Today was my very first day with the high school students and they were excellent! They were so much fun! I do have a girl in the class who has a baby…I would guess she is not even 17. Most of the women have children and most of them are younger then I am. There is an unfortunate amount of single mothers here. The government doesn’t do anything to help out either. I don’t think there is any such thing as well fair or child support. Even if you could take the dad to court you probably couldn’t afford an attorney. Tomorrow I have my first art class so I am very excited for that too. Earlier this morning the donors came through my town and we had an assembly for them. The children played music and danced. It was so wonderful. I have not been able to see the talent that the kids have until today and I am so impressed!! The teachers were also really wonderful today. I told them about how Bayardo and I danced the other night and they got a laugh out of that! Not too much else going on. The internet is back up! I am going to teach our cook how to make pancakes tomorrow! I cannot believe I have already been here for four weeks and I only have eight months left. I remember when I only had eight months left at home! Oh how the time passes!

The pictures below are of the choir in Cusmapa. They have toured through Nicaragua and the United States. They are an amazing group! Oh and there is one of a house in Cusmapa…things could always be worse!

No comments: